When I was younger I went to the beach every Saturday from the start of the summer until the very end. My grandparents had a beach house first in Seaside Heights, NJ and then when I was a teenager in Wildwood Crest, NJ. My family is huge about the beach, but me being the black sheep in the in my beach obsessed family I only tolerated it. I’m a mountains and lake kind of girl. There is one bright spot about spending my day on the beach, and that is how much reading I can get done in one day. Luckily my family is awesome about letting me be so I can absorb myself in a good book.
I don’t go to the beach as often any more but I do give in once a year and spend a day at the beach with my family once a year.
Here I am going to share my the top five books I have started and finished at the beach. This list is going to be the oldest book to the most recent read.
- Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen– Now Along for the Ride isn’t my favorite Dessen book but this one holds a special place in my heart. Like always I packed up a few books for the beach day so I could get my read on while sweltering in the heat but I made a grave mistake… I forgot my bag. I panicked what was I to do about a long day ahead of me with nothing to occupy me. Luckily for me there was a small shop that sold chairs and umbrellas and coolers but it also had a very small selection of books. I was so happy when I saw an author I knew and immediately snatched it up. I then spent the rest of my day happily reading my book.
- Poor Little Bitch Girl by Jackie Collins– The summer before my final year of high school was an action packed summer. It was my first summer driving and having a full time job. I was looking at colleges and having fun with friends. It was a pretty light summer for reading and I was preparing for a weekend away with my boyfriend and his family to the beach. I knew this would be the perfect time to get sucked into a book. I packed up a few different options and headed down. I decided to go with a brand new author I had never read before and that’s when I picked up Jackie Collins for the first but definitely not the last. She has fast become one of my favorite authors.
- Five Summers by Una LaMARCHE– South Carolina, camping on a beach at Lake Kiwi. Everyone but me was tired and went to be and I sat up for hours on my blanket with the water lapping at my feet finishing this book. I’ve read so many books that involve friendship. This book is the first time I wanted a second book that involved this group of girls. It also takes place on a lake and to me that just seemed to perfect.
- The Unexpected Everything by Morgan Matson– Miserable Vacation… Amazing Book, that would be the title of the memory I have while reading this book. I was in Ocean City, MD for a long weekend and I wound up getting sick as a dog. I spent the whole vacation with the flu reading and generally being miserable. The book did wind up being one of my favorites so that is something good that came out of it.
- A Map for Wrecked Girls by Jessica Taylor– This one is really the most simple. I got it for my birthday and brought it with me on a beach day with my family and I thought it was so so so good. It quickly jumped to my top 20 list.
There we go. top 5 books I’ve read at the beach. Let me know your favorite summer/ beach reads.
Keep Reading xoxo